In WA, FIFO work is very common and will be for many years as the mining industry plays a central role in the economy of WA (1). Mental health in FIFO workers and their families is an important area to consider for both short-term and long-term health (2). A recent study by the WA Mental Health Commission 2018 shows the impact of FIFO work on the mental wellbeing of both FIFO workers and their families (3).
FIFO workers experience many different challenges compared to non-FIFO workers (3) (below are just a few to consider):
• Higher psychological distress including anxiety and/or depression.
• Separation difficulties between FIFO worker and family
• Partner and children wellbeing
• Difficulty transitioning from work to home
• Working environment (isolation, shifts, social, accommodation)
• Poorer sleep quality
• Financial commitment and job security
For FIFO workers and families, seeking support and changing thinking patterns are key to overcoming challenges and enhancing overall well-being (3). A positive mindset allows for anyone to live a happier life and have a better quality of life.
This meditation has a simple step-by-step program that anyone can follow.
Some of the benefits that people experience from this meditation include:
- A comfortable and happy mind
- Exhaustion disappears
- Mind clutter disappears
- Relationships improve
- Improved focus and concentration
- Decreased worries and anxieties
- Overall health improves
- Clear decision-making
- Confidence in what you do
During the process of your study with this meditation, we offer FIFO support contact so that, when you are away from home, you can comfortably continue with the meditation.
If you have any questions, please contact us on 08 95862070.
Click on the rsvp bird to book your introduction to meditation and become happier today!
1.Chambers of Minerals and Energy of WA. (2015). as cited in Education and Health Standing Committee.
2. Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016. Suicide In Australia. Retrieved from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/3303.0~2016~Main%20Features~Intentional%20selfharm:%20key%20characteristics~7
3. Government of Western Australia Mental Health Commission, 2018. Impact of FIFO work arrangements on the mental health and wellbeing of FIFO workers. Retrieved from https://www.mhc.wa.gov.au/media/2548/impact-of-fifo-work-arrangement-on-the-mental-health-and-wellbeing-of-fifo-workers-summary-report.pdf